There’s a question you can ask yourself in every moment to change your life. This one question alone has the power to redirect your energies, change the alignment of your life and the destiny of your path. It can change the course of your day, determine the state of your mood and increase or decrease the stress you’re feeling right now. It will effect everything you manifest and the outcome of each action you take. It will control how you experience every single day of your life.
So it’s a pretty important question, right?
Okay, so here it is – what are you focused on right now?
This one question affects so much of your life because all your energies go to whatever you’re focused on. Here’s a simple test to demonstrate that to yourself. Ready? WHATEVER YOU DO DON’T THINK OF A PINK ELEPHANT.
You thought of a pink elephant, right? Don’t worry. We all do. That’s the point. Our mind automatically focuses on whatever’s in front of us, whether it serves us or not. It can’t be helped, it’s the way your mind automatically works. That’s not the problem. Sometimes what is put in front of you serves you, by making you laugh or giving you a wonderful new idea or source of inspiration. It’s when ideas that don’t serve you come into your space. You’ll still focus on them. It’s an instinct. You can’t help it. What is important, however, is what you do next.
If your mind stays stuck on the pink elephant, you’re in trouble. With all that’s going on in the world right now, you could even be in serious trouble. There’s so much going on that’s negative, divisive and generally toxic that if you remain focused on it you’ll end up anxious, depressed or stressed. It’s times like these when you need to exercise your ‘focus muscles’ and keep your focus on what serves you.
Anything that doesn’t serve you is a distraction. It’ll take your energy away from what you want to create in your own life and put it somewhere else, usually in a place that works for someone else but probably not for you. You receive tremendous benefits when you keep yourself focused on the things that serve you. Your energy will flow into what you want more easily, your life will become more aligned improving the ease and flow in your life and you’ll feel more supported as your results improve.
Here’s a simple trick to help you stay focused on what you want (and not on what you don’t want):
- Write down three to five things you want. They can be tangible things, like a healthy body, or intangible, like greater happiness.
- Focus on each one. Do you get a picture in your mind that feels good? That is what you want? If so, well done. That’s a positive focus. If not, re-word what you want until the picture is what you want.
- Once you’ve have your three to five things that you want, put that list of things somewhere you can see it or find it easily. You can put it on a postit on your mirror, or in your car. You can also put it in the notes in your phone. You can also put it as an event in your calendar so it pops up regularly to remind you what to focus on.
- When something grabs your focus during your day, do the same thing. Notice if the image it gives you in your mind feels good or not. If it does you can work with it. If it doesn’t make you feel good you’ll need to re-focus.
- You can use your list to re-focus yourself. Picture the things on your list to get yourself back onto a positive track for the day.
The more you practice this the more fit your ‘focus muscles’ will become. Then the world won’t be able to distract you from what you want.